Friday, April 6, 2012

Downtown 5K Race

Today I ran the Downtown 5K Race in 35:12.  I am really happy with this time as I was aiming for 37mins.
Here I am before we left for the race.

At about the half way point.
Coming up to the finish.
 As you can see at the finish there were others around me.  I am not used to this as I am usually way at the back of the pack.  You can see I really picked up my speed at the finish.
I have been experience some shin pain lately after runs.  Any suggestions to help for what I think are shin splints?  I looked in to compression socks or sleeves.  Does anyone know if they would help?

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Congratulations on your 5K! Great job!! Sorry to hear about the shin pain. Ibuprofen and ice are helpful for immediate relief. The compression stockings might be helpful in alleviating the discomfort, but I think it is recommended that you determine the cause of the shin splints (shoes, biomechanics, overuse, etc.). Hope it feels better soon.

Amanda said...

Congratulations on the awesome time at the 5K!!!!!!

Careful with the shin splints - hopefully this is all they are, but be careful that they don't end up being stress fractures.

Freeze some ice in paper cups that you can tear off the ice and use ice rub downs after you run. Some people like foam rollers or a product called the stick to provide self massage. You may need to back off the running a little bit as well...

Definitely make sure your shoes aren't worn out. 300 miles is a good life for running shoes, but look at the sole and see if the treads are worn out or the sides broken down - those are indicators that you may need new shoes.

When in doubt see a sports doc and have them checked out to make sure you don't do more harm than good.